Author: James Pendergraft
Stress is a difficult term to define. We react differently to stress because we all react differently to stimuli and some people are just not affected by it. Stress can either be a physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes physical or mental tension and it can be a defining factor for the onset of a disease. Stress could also be the state of physical or mental tension that results from a series of factors that tend to alter an existent equilibrium.
Stress is an everyday fact of life and it can be harmful if this lasts for so long and there is no relief. The pressures of crises and everyday events have adverse effects on the health of a person. Women take on the stresses of home and the work environment. In the presence of stress, a woman can manifest certain conditions like headaches, ulcer, diabetes, and certain types of cancer. Even when you are at work, all your unmanaged stress can lead to illness and even unsafe acts that may cost you your jobs. When stress is taking over your life, manage it immediately and find solutions that will help you reduce it.
Stress management is critical to learn. You can make it a positive factor in your life. All you need to do is identify your stressors, understand them, and find solutions. You can also take charge of stress and prevent it. Know also that alcohol and drugs will not help you relieve your stress so never turn to them as the solution. Here are some guidelines when you are stressed.
* Accept the fact that you are stressed. You cannot control all things, and stress is not a controllable feeling. There are things that you can’t control and all you need to do is accept that and learn from experience. You can seek the advice of your friends and some professionals.
* Stay away from situations and sources of frustrations and stress. You can remove yourself from the environment by staying away and avoiding it.
* Let your feelings out and talk to a friend. Take time to change your feelings or even control it.
* Adapt to it. Learn to cope with the situations and look at it as an opportunity. Don’t let yourself be easily stressed and never let your stress take over your life and your personality. Focus on more positive things in your life and try to make time for the activities that you enjoy doing. You can maintain a healthy lifestyle by exercising daily, meditating and eating a healthy and balanced diet. You can fight off stress with a healthy and content body.
* Always keep a positive attitude. Never be a pessimistic person. An optimist can always find ways to reduce stress in his or her daily life.
* Always be assertive and never aggressive. You can always assert your feelings and opinions and beliefs instead of becoming angry and defensive.
* Practice and always learn new relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga. These mind and body exercises always make you feel better.
* Get enough rest and sleep so that you will not always be irritable and it allows your body to recover from stressful events.
* Seek out social support with your friends and manage your time more effectively.
Dr. James S. Pendergraft opened the abortion doctor in March 1996 to provide a full range of health care for women, including women's clinic , physical examinations, family planning , counseling, laboratory services.